- Author: Andy Ramsden (email@example.com)
- Date: 17th November, 2010
- Technical Keyword: Clickers, Classroom Technologies,
- Learning Keyword: Feedback
The aim of this how to guide is to bring three common questions to together and walk through how you might add an interactive (clicker) question to your powerpoint presentation, set a time limit for the students to answer the question, and once closed, display the correct answer.
A potential scenario would be, you’ve written a objective question (one which has a correct answer), and wish to see the proportion of the audience who get it right, and the proportion who get it wrong. You wish to set a time to introduce a little bit of pressure, and display the correct answer for clarity in the classroom and because you are intending to upload the powerpoint to your VLE course.
Step 1: Adding the question to your powerpoint presentation
* Open up Turning Point 2008
* Open up your powerpoint presentation (file)
* Use slide sorter (left side) to navigate to where you want add the question slide
* Using the Turning Point tool bar, click on Insert Slide >>> Select Generic >>>Select question by the number of possible answers
* Edit slide, including adding the question, and all the possible responses
Alternatively, see the very good (and short) videos produced by the TurningPoint >> http://trainingportal.turningtechnologies.com/turningPoint.cfm
Step 2: Selecting “display correct answer” after the students have voted
This is a two step process. Firstly, you’ll need to set the graphic which displays the correct answer indicator across all slides within your presentation. This is from a list of icons. Secondly, you need to associate the correct response on the actual question.
Select the correct answer indicator
* Using the Turning Point tool bar, click >>> Insert option >>> Select the correct answer indicator >>> select the icon you wish to use
Secondly, set the correct answer for a particular question (slide)
* Navigate to question slide in your presentation
* Highlight the correct answer using your mouse
* Right click on your mouse to display a new menu panel >>> click on set as correct
Step 3 - Set timer for a particular question
This option will automatically close the polling after the time you set. It will also display a counter (timer) on your powerpoint slide.
* Using the Turning Point tool bar, click >>> Insert option >>> Select Countdown >>> Select Timer
The Timer will display on your powerpoint slide. Move this display, and to change the duration (seconds) double click on the timer and enter the time you’d like.
- For more information on how you might use this technology to enhance the student learning experience please contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- TurningPoint provide a large number of accessible support videos. These are available from: http://www.turningtechnologies.com/responsesystemsupport/producttraining/onlinetutorials/
- To booking form for the clickers is available from, http://tinyurl.com/ucsclickers
Creative Commons & Open Educational Resources
The Enhancing Learning Through Technology Team embrace open educational resources. Therefore, this resource is available under the following Creative Common License.
- Permanent Link (URL)
- Permanent Link (Word Doc) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12497737/How%20could%20I%20set%20up%20a%20clicker%20question%20in%20my%20powerpoint%20HCTC001.doc
- Resource ID: HCTC001